Sunday, April 25, 2010

Week Fifteen Update

Well, today was the perfect Sunday. Church at 8:00am, then breakfast with Mom and a lovely Sunday tour of the country side. Fort Mill is about 8 miles from my apartment and what a lovely place it is. I go there to think, get quiet and take in the beauty of small town living.

I also buy our raw milk there, buy farm fresh veggies there, get gas there (can save about 20-25 cents a gallon getting SC gas instead of NC gas), go to church there, visit the Asian Bistro there (they have a fabulous gluten-free Thai menu!!), walk the trails amongst the peach trees while watching the horses prance about and dream of one day moving there.

You see, it's home in my heart and has been calling my name for quite some time. But timing is the key word here. So as I wait and listen for that inner voice to share when the time is right, I simply visit and dream of one day moving home (:

Now...on to the update! This last week has been about getting things together. Spring is in full swing and spring cleaning begins! I'm still working on the studio makeover and moving at a slower than desirable pace, but things are still getting done. I was hoping to post some new designs, but I still have more work to do and hope to have that completed within the next few days.

The one thing I'm totally jazzed about is my garden! Yes, I said garden!! Living in an apartment does put a cramp on accessible outdoor space, but there's enough room on my deck for an iron bistro set and some veggies (: And you guessed it, the veggies I'm talking about are the lovelies in the photo above. I know...it doesn't look like much does it? It will be a modest "garden" but it's mine and I'm so tickled I can't stand it (:

I've got a green and yellow pepper plant, a couple of tomatoes (the Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato suggested by my fellow gardening guru Carole) and a cucumber to top it off. My Grandfather would be turning over in his grave if he knew how long it's been since his granddaughter's hands have been in some earth to grow her own food!!

Mom has fond childhood memories of going to their truck farm...oops! Translation time - their home did not have enough space for a "respectable garden" so Granddaddy leased land down the road and each morning the family would hop in the truck and head off to the farm...hence the name "truck farm." That was my mother's creation and it stuck (:

I can still see Granddaddy's dark blue 1951 Chevrolet pickup sitting in the drive next to his prize rose bushes and I'd love to have one just like it...sigh...Another dream for another day (: So I'm trying my hand at patio gardening in honor of my Grandfather.

Our deck gets TONS of sun, but I'm not quite used to container gardening yet so playing it by ear will be a big factor. I'll pass along the progress and share some yummy recipes when harvest time comes (:

I also have another project in the works....Mondays will now be known as Makeover Mondays. I'll post photos of beautiful rooms and show you how to achieve the same design for less by making items yourself and buying low cost alternatives. If you have any pictures stored away of your favorite designs, send them over and I'd be happy to do a low cost makeover using your pics for the Monday post!

So, is having a Makeover Monday a good idea? Would you be interested in this being a regular post? I'd love to know what you think (:



New to The Homesteading Apartment? Don't miss a post and subscribe here...
Related Posts with Thumbnails