Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Week Twelve Update - I'm Back!!!

Well, after almost 4 weeks I'm back!! I still have more healing to do, but am able to type and use my hands again so I am blessed!! Thank you so much for all of the notes and emails of encouragement. They helped more than you'll ever know (:

This past month has been another time set apart and an interesting journey, one that has brought health as the only focus.

I'm a stress/emotional eater. Always have been. Being the caregiver of an adult family member can take a toll if you don't have a support system. Going from caring for Grandmother for 10 years, then Dad and next Mom after Dad's passing...let's just say emotional eating kicked in big time! Over the years I put on a huge amount of weight!!

After Dad died I knew it was time to make a change, but wasn't ready to totally commit to a clean diet. I have wheat and dairy sensitivities so eating gluten free and raw/organic milk and cheeses is the only way to go.

Even though many changes have been made on this simplifying journey, a clean diet has been one of the areas I was putting off. I was eating lots of sugar, wheat, cheese, milk - most of it conventional and by March 7th my body had had enough!!
Both of my hands became swollen three times their normal size, my eyes were almost swollen shut and my lips looked like a collagen injection gone wrong (: Slight movements would cause the skin to crack and bleed...not a fun experience. The pain was almost unbearable at times, but God had a plan...

As I posted, the first week of March most of my time was spent going through paper clutter that had been sitting in bins and boxes for years. This was am emotional process. My system was already out of balance due to the foods consumed and the emotional stress of finally dealing with the clutter sent my body over the edge. I know the mind, body, spirit connection is very powerful, but this experience has shown me how toxic negative thoughts and memories can be if we don't deal with them and learn new ways of processing.

I quickly made a change in diet, eating only vegetables and meat for the first three weeks and took the appropriate cocktail of herbal supplements to help the healing process. After three weeks I added in low sugar fruits. For the first two weeks I could do nothing but take vinegar baths, recite healing scripture over and over and pray. You begin to appreciate the simple things...taking a bath without it causing pain...the simple act of washing your hair...being able to use a fork to eat...going for a walk outside to get fresh air...petting the pups...these things become precious when they disappear.
Most of the journey was about keeping positive and knowing that God was working to heal me. I had to quit looking at the painful cracked and bleeding skin and focused on the internal healing that was taking place. By the end of the second week I was able to use my hands to hold a book and immediately began reading "Who Switched Off My Brain? Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions" by Dr. Caroline Leaf. AMAZING book!! A MUST read. She helps you...
  • Learn how toxic thoughts are like poison and how to identify “The Dirty Dozen,” twelve areas of toxic thinking in our lives.
  • Sweep away “The Dirty Dozen” by breaking the cycle of toxic thinking.
  • Uncover how your thoughts can actually start to improve every area of your life – your relationships, your health and even your success.
87% to 95% of the illnesses that plague us today are a direct result of our thought life. What we think about affects us physically and emotionally. Through an uncontrolled thought life, we create the conditions for illness and we make ourselves sick!
Research shows that fear, all on its own, triggers more than 1,400 known physical and chemical responses and activates more than 30 different hormones. There are INTELLECTUAL and MEDICAL reasons to FORGIVE! Toxic waste generated by toxic thoughts causes the following illnesses: diabetes, cancer, asthma, skin problems and allergies to name just a few.

Medical research increasingly points to the fact that thinking and consciously controlling your thought life is one of the best ways, if not the best way of detoxing your brain. It allows you to get rid of those toxic thoughts and emotions that can consume and control your mind.

So God got my attention and FAST!! Isn't that usually how it happens? We put off the things we know we should do until they become so horrible that they DEMAND our attention. Because of this clean way of eating I've lost 21 pounds in three weeks, removed all sugar and wheat from my diet and only fresh veggies, low sugar fruits, a few nuts, healthy oils (coconut, olive and flaxseed) and meats free of antibiotics and hormones remain.

After a few months I'll add pure maple syrup and honey, the rest of the fruits and raw milk and cheese back into the plan as well. And I have to say, I don't miss the junk! Having your body slap you upside and down again quickly gives perspective! There is no desire to eat in the old way (: Thank you Father!!!!!

So not only is God simplifying my environment, wardrobe, play time and work life, but I had no idea He would make such a dramatic and quick impact on simplifying my health by decluttering my thought life and kitchen pantry (: It's so good to be back!



New to The Homesteading Apartment? Don't miss a post and subscribe here...
Related Posts with Thumbnails