Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Curveballs of Life

curve•ball  /’kərv,bôl/
Noun: A ball that is pitched with a snap of the wrist and a strong downward spin, which causes the ball to drop suddenly and deceptively veer away from home plate.

That last part of the definition is most interesting to me...”a downward spin which causes the ball to suddenly and deceptively veer away from home plate.” You think life is headed in one direction and then with the snap of change you suddenly feel like you’re veering away from home.

Change...it's a little bit of a double edged sword for me. On the one hand I find change exciting. A new challenging adventure on the horizon of life just waiting to burst forth with amazing possibilities. But then at the same time I don't like it, sometimes dread it and just downright don't want it to happen. Yes. I'm a complex kinda gal (:

We've had lots of change over the last few years and honestly, sometimes that feeling of giving up just wants to take over. Change in relationships, change in work, the passing of loved ones, a change in life focus, a week ago the passing of my beloved dachshund Reba at the ripe old age of 19 and now an unexpected move in the next couple of weeks for which we are financially unprepared. My, my, my...

Change...yuck. But instead of focusing on the yucky side of this coin, I’ve decided to flip it over and look on these moments in life like surprise parties...you enter the room startled and bewildered, scream your guts out in horror and then once you realize your life isn't in jeopardy (: you acclimate and party on!

The whole essence of life is about change isn't it? Things grow in the spring and wither away in the winter...a cycle that must happen for new growth to come back the following season. Nothing really stays the same, other than an awe inspiring heavenly Father who gently carries us when we experience these curveballs of life. It's up to us to let go and enjoy the ride instead of fighting against the currents.

And so I’m embracing this new phase as an adventure...a magical curveball adventure of soul changing elation. I don't know where we're going, don't know how we're going to get there, nor do I know how we are going to financially pull this off, but I do know that God already has a plan in action and is lovingly guiding our steps (:

So, when you experience those curveballs of life, what advice do you have for those who are going through it right now? What gets you through? What focus propels you forward? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

“You are close beside me, guarding, guiding all the way.” ~ Psalm 23:4


Related Posts with Thumbnails