Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Beautiful Simplicity of Paring Down


I'm very careful about the products used in my home and on my body and Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap has been a favorite for years. So versatile that it not only works for bath and body needs, but for home cleaning as well...simplicity at its best. As I starting thinking about all of the many uses of this soap and the inherent simplicity, it encouraged me to rethink many of the other items being used in my home.

I began to take a closer look at the things around me. Is this a true reflection of what I believe? Do I really need/use this? Does it add to my life or just take up space? Can it be used in multiple applications (versatility)? Is it just hanging around because it might be used one day or does it serve a purpose?

One by one as things left cabinets, drawers and closets, rooms weren’t as cluttered and organization was a new found appreciation. The funny thing? The process left my bathroom with VERY few items.

I have naturally curly hair that can lean on the frizzy side if the right product isn’t used and for years TONS of mousse, hair gels, shampoos, conditioners and hot oil treatments lined the shelves. After taking a good look only a few things were really needed...
  • Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile Soap - serves as shampoo, hand soap, body wash, jewelry cleaner, makeup remover and bathroom cleaner.
  • Apple Cider Vinegar - makes the perfect conditioning hair rinse, a wonderful balancing/conditioning facial toner and bathroom cleaner.
  • Olive Oil - great for a weekly hot oil hair treatment, a deep conditioning cuticle treatment, a wonderful lip conditioner and just the right thing for those extra dry patches.
  • Rose & Hibiscus Facial Cream - the best face cream ever!! Made from organic aloe vera juice, hibiscus flower extract, coconut oil, rosehip seed oil, vitamin E, rosemary and neem oil. Technically a facial cream, it’s light enough for all over and I always keep some in my purse.
  • Hairspray – made from lemon wedges, water and alcohol.
  • Mousse – made from gelatin and water.
This paring down process has also made a difference in the daily routine. After hopping out of the shower cream is immediately applied to face and body, a few drops of olive oil massaged into cuticles keeps them soft with the excess applied to lips, only a dab of mousse is needed in my hair because the vinegar conditions so well and then I’m ready for makeup!

In the evening I simply soak a washcloth with warm water and add a few drops of Dr. Bronner’s to remove makeup/wash my face, rinse the cloth in cold water, add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the wet cloth and apply it to my face. No cream needed at night because the vinegar conditions! Not only had this simplified my space and routine but it saves the pocketbook as well.

So how have you pared down your spaces? How has simplicity made a difference in your everyday routine?



New to The Homesteading Apartment? Don't miss a post and subscribe here...
Related Posts with Thumbnails