Saturday, October 23, 2010

Learning to Knit

Is there something you've always wanted to do but had no idea where to start? Knitting has been that elusive craft for me. The very idea of yarn and needles conjures images of warm cozy nights with family sitting by a crackling fire as children play games or read books...ah, the sheer delight. Neither of my Grandmothers knitted nor aunts or cousins...not even close friends or colleagues enjoyed this zen-like skill of creating, but I wanted to learn.

I hopped online to see if there might be a local group willing to educate this novice. Sure enough I found a few ladies who met once in a while to teach newbies and my first class was under way. A scarf was in the works, but soon things got busy and these new found techniques just became foggy and faded away.

I was eager to begin again, but hoping to find something closer to home that met more frequently. Sure enough...ask and ye shall find! Turns out my church has a prayer shawl ministry!! A group meets every Sunday afternoon to knit shawls for those in hospice and they were willing to teach! I was so excited...not only am I learning to do something that I've always wanted to do, but I'm also able to give back in some way. Here's my first prayer shawl in process...

Hopefully by next year I will have gained enough experience to knit gifts...I can see scarves, stuffed toys and baby blankets in the future (:

So if there's something you've always wanted to do, go for it!! No time like the present (: Look for those who know how to do what you want to learn and ask if they might be willing to teach. There are tons of videos on You Tube teaching so many things (even knitting) and it's a great resource to get you started. So jump in and enjoy the learning process (:



New to The Homesteading Apartment? Don't miss a post and subscribe here...

Linking to: My Romantic Home, Remodelaholic, Finding Fabulous, Just a Girl, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Frou Frou Decor, Fun to Craft, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, Craft Envy, Be Different Act Normal, 30 Handmade Days, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Pumpkin Seed Productions, Frugal and Fabulous Design, Sassy Sites, Momma's Kindacrafty
Related Posts with Thumbnails