Friday, July 23, 2010

Frugal Friday

First, I'd like to apologize for the posting glitch on Monday. I had several people email and post comments that the pictures and info weren't showing up. Thank you so much for letting me know! When I'm logged in I can see the post just fine, but apparently no one else can. I've had this happen one or two other times and I'm not quite sure why, but for some reason posting a comment on my own blog does the trick! Now, back to Frugal Friday tips...

Today's tip is about clothes shopping. I know, I know, it's No Spend Month and I'm talking about shopping. Go figure (: Goodwill has become one of my favorite places. Not only are there great finds at great prices, but the money spent there is going to a good cause and helping the community.

Oh! Don't you just love the way they organize the racks by colors!! Why would you pay full price for a perfectly good designer suit when the same suit could be purchased at Goodwill for under $15? Much of the clothing donated to Goodwill has never been worn and many times the tags are still on the garments.

My mother lost a lot of weight and purchased quite a few new pieces from her favorite clothing store only to loose more weight. The new pants and shirts she just purchased no longer fit. Mom didn't want to spend even more money after the first investment, so off to Goodwill she went!

She was able to purchase 1 fitted blazer, 3 pairs of dress pants, 1 pair of jeans, 2 cardigan sets, 4 sweaters and 4 blouses for under $70 and almost all of the items were designer names. She would have easily spent over $500 for the exact same items had she gotten them from the original stores.

Many places have one day set aside for replenishing merchandise. Ask the store manager when they get in new items and visit on those days to get first pick. Set a budget, look for basic key pieces and build a wardrobe that suits your lifestyle. Once you have a good foundation of basics, then add trendy, fashionable items that can be switched out as the styles change and don't forget to spend some of that money you've just saved on great shoes that will last.

I'm no slave to fashion and prefer to choose something comfy over something dressy, but love it when elegance and comfort collide (: Just be yourself. Clothing does no define who you are or determine your worth. They're just clothes for goodness sake! Find something that makes you smile and go with it! When you feel good on the inside, it shines on the outside (:



New to The Homesteading Apartment? Don't miss a post and subscribe here...
Related Posts with Thumbnails