Monday, July 26, 2010

Makeover Monday - Final Backsplash Results

It's finally finished!! At least I think it's finished. If you're new to our Kitchen Backsplash Makeover, here are the photos of the "before" as well as the "kitchen in process" pictures. I challenged myself to create a free backsplash using the design inspiration of white subway tiles and came up with the solution of using leftover wooden mini rulers.

The original plan was to have a white glossy finish for the backsplash, but after the paint dried I began wondering if an aged glaze might bring out the texture of the "tiles" more since it seems to lack depth. I'd love to know your thoughts.

At first glance there seems to be a lot of white, but I like a clean bright kitchen especially because there's no natural light. I was surprised at how much it lightened things up (even at night) and love how the outlets fade away. Each one seemed to be installed at a different angle (much like the counters) and they looked pretty bad before. If you rent you can totally understand the lack of craftsmanship that can sometimes come with spaces like this.

The glossy white paint allows the outlet imperfections to be minimized and I'm wondering if a glaze might accentuate the crookedness again....still thinking...

We'll be getting the counters refinished with a dark taupe granite treatment so I might wait until that's done before altering the backsplash.

Our apartment complex is updating the counters in all of the units, thank goodness! I've had a chance to check out several upon completion and they look fabulous! Not as great as real granite, but so much better than the lovely laminate we're sporting now (:

I'll be sure to post the photos of the new counters once they're completed. I'm not sure when that will be, but hopefully within the next couple of months.

Another project being considered is adding crown on top of the cabinets to beef up their presence, as well as molding along the bottom so under-cabinet lighting can be installed. I think I'll let the glossy white backsplash sit and then reconsider glazing once the lighting, molding and counters are done.

So what do you think? I'd love to know!



New to The Homesteading Apartment? Don't miss a post and subscribe here...
Related Posts with Thumbnails